“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
Oh fall, it’s so nice to see you again. It’s been so long since we’ve enjoyed your changing colors, the smells of your harvest, your cooler air, the sounds of crunching leaves beneath our feet. We are starting to see pumpkins everywhere and are loving it! Bring on the longer walks outside with our dogs and jumping in giant piles of leaves!
Looking for some fall inspiration that will motivate you and your dog to enjoy the changing of the seasons?
We got one word for you:
Is Pumpkin safe to give my dog? Yes!
While there is no scientific evidence proving pumpkin is good for a dog’s skin or coat, there is evidence that proves adding pumpkin to your dog’s diet will help with their digestion. If your dog ever suffers from diarrhea, adding a couple spoonfuls of canned pumpkin to their diet can help absorb water and improve their stools significantly. Pumpkin contains soluble fiber, which is great for a pet’s overall digestion since it slows digestion.
Pumpkin Nutrients & Benefits
- Pumpkin is high in fiber, which can help with your dog’s constipation.
- As we mentioned above, pumpkin slows digestion which can help your pet feel fuller longer.
- Because it can help them feel fuller longer, pumpkin is a great way to help your dog lose weight. You can substitute 1/4 a cup of your dog food with a tablespoon of canned pumpkin!
- Pumpkin naturally contains Vitamin A which can sustain healthy vision. It also contains Vitamin C which can boost the immune system and help sustain healthy joint function in older dogs.
How can I incorporate pumpkin into my dog’s diet this season?
- Be sure to buy just the regular canned pumpkin from the grocery store. Avoid the kind that says “Ready for pie” as it contains added sugars, salt and fats which isn’t beneficial to your dog’s diet. You can add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to your dog’s food, depending on the size and breed of your dog. Start off by giving him a little to taste to see if he likes it before adding it to their dry kibble!
- Pumpkin Spice EVERYTHING seems to be everywhere this time of year for humans; why not make some festive treats for your dog too? If you check on Pinterest there are literally hundreds of homemade DIY pumpkin recipes for dog treats, biscuits, chews and more. One of our personal favorites is this Pumpkin Apple Dog Treat…yum!
Will you try one of these pumpkin recipes for your dog? Let us know!
Happy Pumpkin Season 🙂